Wednesday 5 November 2008

Delia's iced lemon curd layer cake

Ah cake! This particular one I've made once or twice before, and I recently recreated it as a house-warming gift for two of my lovely friends who have just moved in together for the first time.

It's a great house-warming cake - gooey and filling, yet light and lemony. I can't put my finger on what specifically makes it a cake capable of warming
houses and cockles, but ah it does. Maybe it's Delia's magic touch! Except it was my magic touch, because I made it. So there.

I have to say, I never thought it'd be so easy to make lemon curd. I seem to remember that when I made it once before, I accidentally got lumps of egg white in it because the water below the bowl was too hot. So I had to sieve them out and it was a bit of an eggy palaver.

However, it all went smoothly this time...apart from the fact that my all-in-one cakes never seem to rise particularly well. I don't know if it's because of my particular electric whisk or what, but for this cake it doesn't matter too much.

Oh, and in cutting the top layer horizontally in two, I daydreamed a little bit and one side of one layer was very thin, hence the crack across the top (it was too wonky a layer to go precariously in the middle).

This cake is super tasty with the lemon curd freshly spread between the layers, but the next day (or the day after!) the curd will start to absorb into the cake - which is fine. It's still moist, lemony, forgiving cake!

You can find Delia's recipe here - maybe try a lime or lemon and lime version and let me know how it goes!






Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: